What we do
our mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
Our core programs engage young people in activities with adults, peers and family members that enable them to reach their full potential. Based on the interests and needs of the Boys & Girls they serve, clubs offer diverse program activities in five areas: Character and Leadership Development, Education and Career Development, The Arts, Sports Fitness and Recreation, and Health and Life Skills.
In every community, Boys & Girls are left to find their own recreation and companionship in the streets. An increasing number of children are at home with no adult care or supervision. Young people need to know that someone cares about them.
What We Do at the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Big Pines
To accomplish our MISSION
To inspire and enable all youth grades K-12, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens through the development of a positive self-image and self-reliance.
We practice a set of PRINCIPLES
· are for all Boys & Girls.
· have full-time professional leadership.
· require no proof of good character.
· make sure that all girls and boys can afford to belong.
· are building-centered.
· are nonsectarian.
· have an open-door policy.
· have a varied and diversified program.
· are guidance-oriented.
Using 3 basic youth development APPROACHES
· Individual · Small Group · Large Group or Drop-In Activities
Based on a Youth Development Strategy to foster:
· a sense of competence.
· a sense of usefulness.
· a sense of belonging.
· a sense of power of influence.
To provide positive SERVICES
We strive to offer a diversified program in five areas:
· Character and Leadership Development
· Education and Career Development
· Health and Life Skills
· Sports, Fitness and Recreation
Our informal guidance METHODS
· We limit the time for negative experiences.
· Through staff example we provide strong, positive role models.
· We provide recognition, attention and acceptance.
· We control peer groups.
· We reinforce positive behavior.
· Our diverse program offers opportunity for each boy and girl to succeed.
Build capacities that kids NEED
· Positive self-identity.
· Competencies in education, employment, social, emotional and cultural experiences.
· Community and civic involvement.
· Health and well-being.
· Moral compass.